43805 Van Dyke Ave, Sterling Heights, MI 48314
FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION 888-559-4705 FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION 888-559-4705

sub-banner-aop-divorce

Arbitration and Trial

Arbitration is a process used to finalize a divorce. The parties must consent to arbitration. In lieu of a trial in front of a Judge the parties may select an independent third person to act as a judge. In this case, they are called an arbitrator. Although the cost of the arbitrator must be paid by the parties, quite often there is a savings in time and money along with a quicker resolution of the case. Generally speaking, arbitration is final in that the appeal of an arbitration ruling is very limited.

Generally, well under 1% of all divorce cases go to trial. The other 99% or more are resolved by the parties. Quite often the parties use mediation, which is a process where the attorneys select a neutral third attorney to sit down with them and help settle the case, or arbitration to resolve the matter, short of Judge making a decision. Generally speaking, to have a trial in front of a Judge, means the case has been pending for upwards of a year and the parties are unable to resolve the major issues. A lot of time, work and expense is involved for the parties and attorneys in preparing and conducting a trial.

Experienced family law attorneys in Sterling Heights

For more information on child custody and other divorce matters, contact the Law Offices of Boyer Dawson St. Pierre, 43805 Van Dyke Avenue, Sterling Heights, Michigan 48314-2446. Phone: 888-559-4705, Fax: 586-731-6370, by e-mail: [email protected] or contact us online.